- 1 What Is Rehabilitation?
- 2 Post covid effects on lungs :
What Is Rehabilitation?
Rehabilitation is the process of helping a person who has suffered an illness or injury restore lost skills and so regain maximum self-sufficiency. The illness and injury mentioned above include several complications like – paralysis ( hemiplegia, paraplegia), stroke, fracture, muscle and tendon tear, neurological disorders, etc.
Rehabilitative exercise and proper training protocols including – mobilization, stabilisation, electronic modalities and exercises. Doctors of physical therapy play a major role in rehabilitative services through a proper training regime.
Types of rehabilitation
There are three types of rehabilitation therapy that are commonly used:
- Occupational(performed by an occupational therapist)
- Physical (performed by a physical therapist)
- Speech (speech therapist)
- Each form of rehabilitation serves a unique purpose in helping a person reach full recovery, but all share the ultimate goal of helping the patient return to a healthy and active lifestyle.
Stages of rehabilitation
- Rest and Protect the Injury.
- Recover Your Motion.
- Recover Your Strength.
- Recover Your Function.
- The Right Treatment for You
● Aim of rehabilitation
- Achieving as full a physical and psychological recovery as possible.
- Improving the quality of life through gaining life management skills, a sense of direction for the future and resilience.
Rehabilitation in physical therapy
- Orthopaedic Rehabilitation
- Neurological Rehabilitation
- Gynaecological Rehabilitation
- Pediatric Rehabilitation
- Geriatric Rehabilitation
Post covid effects on lungs :
1. ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome)
The patient suffers from severe breathing difficulties mainly while exhalation. In this condition, the alveolar sac of our lung gets filled with fluid or pus.
Inflammation of alveolar sac filled with fluid or puss which blocks the lung surface for gaseous exchange.
Therefore pulmonary rehabilitation plays a major role in patients suffering from covid-19.
Drugs are given for covid – lopinavir/ritonavir, chloroquine phosphate, hydroxychloroquine, although these medicines have severe side effects too with not so effective cure.
- Multidisciplinary input
- Exercise therapy
- Dietary advice
- Disease education, psychological development
Treatment includes :
1. Oxygen therapy
2. Chest physiotherapy
It includes postural drainage in conditions like ( cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis, COPD). suctioning ( small plastic tubes are inserted into the air passage for pulling out sputum for patients who are unable to do so)